[DGD] DGD & Simulations

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 28 19:25:44 CET 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:04:52PM -0500, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Noah Gibbs wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Christopher Darque wrote:
> > > 2) Since I use a lot of ASCII graphics...
> >
> > Chances are good that you'll want to use a binary port
> > instead of a telnet port for this stuff.  But the combination of
> > precompiled code and large string operations is probably your friend here.
> >   Alternately, you could extend the DGD server you use with custom
> > functions to do what you want, which is the fastest way.
>
> On this subject, is there any reason not to use GIF or JPG
> graphics images (small ones) and send those over the binary
> port, instead of jiggering up ASCII screens with ANSI color?

Availability of bandwidth and graphical artists?  I think in
particular that last one is easily overlooked. :)

Aside from the fact that I'd probably serve the actual images on a
separate server, or at least with a separate process that is dedicated
to serving data instead of running a game.

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at xs4all.nl>