[DGD] test

Christian McCarron larnen at elephant.org
Thu Jul 31 14:09:31 CEST 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:18:06PM -0400, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Lucifer wrote:
> > Eh... since you ask me what i need and i am quite new to dgd... could
> > you tell me about the grammar differences between dgd and 'traditional
> > lpc' (I only have some experience with MudOS before)?
>
> I was a MudOS hacker for about five years before switching to DGD.
>
> I never had any trouble moving between drivers. DGD has rather
> fewer (I'm probably mixing MudOS and DGD terminology here, so
> forgive me) driver-supplied functions than MudOS, but most of
> the critical ones are the same, and many of the ones not in
> DGD will be provided, sometimes under the same name, by the
> mudlib you use. There's a few changes, of course, but nothing
> difficult to get used to.

The thing thats causing me problems looking at moving from MudOS to
DGD (something I'd love to do on many, many levels) is the function
pointers. We use anonymous functions a lot, and we've been quite
creative in some of the uses we've put them to. Even basic functionality
like map(arr,(: code :)) seems to have no easy fix without turning the
code into a whole new function and calling it. Other things like macros
which auto-construct arbitarily layered function pointers for dynamic
descriptions etc really look like they'd need a total rewrite, at the core
and in every single room that uses them.

Since the mud I run is in its 11th year, as you can imagine we have an
awfully large number of rooms!

I understand that Dworkin doesn't like fp's/closures etc, but is there any
way these can be done via a package? Whether or not fp's are the best way to
do this kind of thing (although we have found them incredibly useful), some
way to include the syntax in the driver as an optional package would allow
a lot of MudOS libs to move to DGD with far more ease. Given that MudOS dev
is more or less dead, this could inject a lot of new blood, and a lot of
experienced developers into the DGD community.

Larnen