[DGD] Damage Weapons and Stuff (Math and Code)

Ben Chambers bjchamb at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 2 03:12:03 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Schmidt" <schmidsj at union.edu>
To: <dgd at list.imaginary.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 3:59 PM
Subject: Re: [DGD] Damage Weapons and Stuff (Math and Code)

> Probably a better solution to this problem is to use the
> logistic distribution function. It is virtually identical
> to the normal (Gaussian) distribution function, except
> that its standard deviation is 1.92 rather than 1.00.
> Its main advantage is that it has a closed-form solution
> for the density function, so that no lookup is needed,
> and the code will run faster.

Yep, it would work much easier if the derivative and integral were
calculable.  The problem is that the normal density curve is much more
common and has the attribute that values are centered around the mean.  I'm
going to look into logistic modeling, however, because you are right, the
speed boost would be considerable.