[DGD] Damage Weapons and Stuff (Math and Code)

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 08:05:05 CEST 2003

--- Ben Chambers <bjchamb at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> In C++ it is the difference between

  Okay.  Looks like the sin/cos version takes 45/47ths
as long, so it's 47/45ths as fast.  So about a 4%
difference in speed, roughly.

> How badly would it slow down in DGD?  Would one
> version slow down more than the other?

  Hard to tell.  And it would make a big difference
whether it was precompiled or interpreted --
precompiled would probably be pretty comparable to
this, interpreted probably would not.  You could try
it and see.  I maintain that if it takes 0.00045
seconds and you're doing it around 75 times/second at
absolute most, it doesn't much matter.  But that's
just me.

> Would it pay to modify the C++ code for DGD to
> make this a built in command?

  Try precompiling first.  Neither of these would
change.  Like, probably ever.  And you wouldn't get
much out of building it into the server directly that
precompiling doesn't get you.  Some, but probably not
much.  I'd say definitely not enough to want to
require breaking full DGD compatibility with the rest
of the world.
  Then again, if you start based on GurbaLib or
something, your compatibility with the rest of the
world is already toast.  But *do* bear in mind that if
your install instructions start with "first, rebuild
the DGD server", you're gonna lose audience members,
and you're going for a very small, very specialized
audience in the first place.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com