[DGD] handful of simple functions I would like to see

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Wed Mar 12 20:12:12 CET 2003

Darren,

> localtime()
> sprintf()
> regex()
> ssave_object()    (save object to string)
> srestore_object() (restore object from string)

I can't comment on localtime() but I can't for the life of me see any
reason to write the other four into the driver... why sacrifice all that
hard-won stability for ... I can't even figure out what for -- I'm not
sure there's any significant speed improvement.

The ssave_object() and rrestore_object() are especially dubious -- just
as save_object() and restore_object() are in the first place. Why would
the objects not know how to export their own state? If they -do- know
how to export their own state, converting this to ASCII representation
is once again not very difficult...

Zell