[DGD] parse_string() wierdness???

Erwin Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 21 05:46:56 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 08:36:52PM -0800, Keith Dunwoody wrote:
[...]
> I'm trying to develop a parse_string() grammar.  I'm
> expecting the grammar to be very large, so I'm putting
> it into another file, which I load at runtime.  At the
> top of my file, I defined whitespace as:
>
> whitespace = /[ \r\n\b\t]+/

[...]
>   grammar = "whitespace = /[ \r\n\t\b]+/\n" + grammar;
>
> it works!  It seems that the parse_string() doesn't
> convert '\n' etc into newlines.  Is this the correct
> behaviour?

Remember that for strings in LPC code, normal conversion code applies,
so occurances of \r, \n, \t, \b are converted to the relevant ASCII.

When you read the same looking text from a file you get what would be
equivalent to \\r, \\n, \\t, \\b if you put them in LPC strings.

So, yes, this is what you should expect, if you want to read your
grammar from a file you'll want to do some conversions that under
normal circumstances the LPC parser would do for you.

Hope that helps,

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at xs4all.nl>