[DGD] Implement Pico Editor

Keith Dunwoody keithdunwoody at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 09:23:47 CEST 2003

Hi,

It's probably easier to hack Berkley telnetd to do
something like this.  Using a debug mode of the
Berkley telnetd you can already get it to listen on an
arbitrary port for a connection, then start any
program to handle input over that port.  "All" you
would need to do is convert the network listening code
to instead of listening for only one connection and
then deal with the conection in that process, fork off
a new process whenever a new connection is received.
This shouldn't be too hard if you're familiar with C &
*nix programming.

Of course, there are security issues here, because the
copy of pico is opened with the same permissions as
telnetd, so you need to run telnetd as an untrusted
user, and then make sure your system is properly
secured. Although I think you'd also have this problem
with what you were trying to do in DGD.

-- Keith