[DGD] Use of sscanf

Jay Shaffstall jshaffst at netwalk.com
Wed May 7 17:36:23 CEST 2003

I'm using sscanf to try to distinguish between ints and floats, and I'm not
sure if the results I'm seeing are a bug in sscanf, or simply an
undocumented feature.  Here's the code I use:

if (sscanf (temp, "%d", value) != 1)
	if (sscanf (temp, "%f", value) != 1)
		error ("variable does not hold an integer or float value.  Contents are:
" + temp);

Where temp is a string variable containing a number the user typed in and
value is a mixed variable.  What I'm seeing is that the use of %d in sscanf
will truncate a float number and return me the integer portion of it.  So:

	sscanf ("77.30","%d",value)

gives me an integer 77 in value.

Is this what is supposed to happen?  I had expected that if the string did
not contain an integer, then %d would not match anything, and my code would
continue on to try to match a float.

Jay