[DGD] Any advice?

Ben Chambers bjchamb at bellsouth.net
Tue May 20 05:33:32 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noah Gibbs" <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com>
To: <dgd at list.imaginary.com>
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: [DGD] Any advice?

> --- Ben Chambers <bjchamb at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Any advice as to where to start or what will be
> > necessary to create a new
> > kernel from scratch?
>
>   Only a little.  For starters, you should realize
> that some code available in some places won't work the
> same for you -- a DGD library's AUTO object
> effectively changes the kfuns (kernel functions,
> basically the language's standard library), and DGD's
> default Kernel Library does this a bit.  In some
> places, more than a bit.
>   So you'll likely have better luck with code designed
> for the Melville library than for the Kernel or
> Phantasmal libraries (Phantasmal builds on DGD's
> default Kernel).
>
>   You'll need to decide what functions, if any, *you*
> want to override as well.
>
>   One of your most major decisions is going to be how
> (and whether) to handle inheritance and
> upgrade-in-place.  A *lot* of the weird stuff the
> Kernel library does with the AUTO object and AUTO
> functions is to make this happen.  If you check out
> "http://phantasmal.sf.net/DGD/Kernel/" you can find an
> explanation of inheritance in DGD and how the Kernel
> library deals with it.  You may choose to do it
> differently, but you should still understand how the
> Kernel library does it.
>
> > For example, instead of the kernel : mud design, I'm
> > planning more of a
> > telnet kernel : mud kernel : your mud seperation.
> > does this make sense?
>
>   Well, you'll want to look at DGD's interface to the
> Driver and AUTO objects and see what exactly you want,
> but you could certainly do more at that level.
> Several people have come up with some good ideas (me
> included) about what DGD could do with a good Telnet
> object coded in LPC.
>
> > Where should I start?
>
>   With the documentation that comes with DGD.  Dworkin
> gives a full run-down of what functions you need to
> have available and what they do.  Also, you'll want to
> look at the Driver and AUTO objects of the Kernel
> library -- in effect, they complete the same
> documentation by giving you a good example of how to
> use those functions.
>
> > If you're wondering what my qualifications are
>
>   Not really.  At the very least you'll ask some good
> questions and I can steal the answers to put on my web
> site.  At best, you'll create a new entirely
> independent kernel library, which would rock.
>   :-P
>
> > I'm good with C++, really good.
>
>   And haven't even started college yet?  Watch
> yourself, boyo, or somebody who actually understands
> the language will hear you say that :-P
Lol.. I've been doing it for two years now, last year I placed 27th in a
national contest.  I've worked at an artificial intelligence company for 2
years doing programming on their underlyign scripting engine writetn in C++.
I also use C, as that is what they use... try me, I love a good programming
challenge ;)