[DGD] Any advice?

Joshua P. Dady jpd at indecisive.com
Tue May 20 16:03:43 CEST 2003

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 07:19  AM, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> Having said that, some things in DGD are just mind-bogglingly complex.
> Take the string parser for instance -- it wasn't created to make
> parsing easy, it was created to make parsing really efficient.  The
> documentation for it I consider to be of good quality, but nevertheless
> making a good parser with it is as hard, or perhaps harder, than doing
> so in LPC.

At least in this case, I would expect that there are more than enough
of us who understand that even writing good grammars to feed a generic
parser are hard to write, and that there are good, dedicated texts on
the matter, that it wouldn't be hard to explain it to anyone who didn't
just understand.

As for the rest, I've often found situations where I would have to read
the documentation _and_ the kernel mudlib's implementation of that
section in order to really understand either.  This tends to be a
two-edged sword, as it gives deeper insight as to why things are the
way they are, but there are times when I just want to implement a
feature without having a history lesson first.  8)

   -Josh