[DGD] Rlimits weirdness...

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 00:33:25 CEST 2003

--- "Felix A. Croes" <felix at dworkin.nl> wrote:
> What you can't do is set a tick limit and then raise
> it.  Non-negative
> tick limits can only be set when the current limit
> is -1 (infinite).

  Hm.  So since call_out sets a non-negative tick
limit, that means I can only lower it.  So I guess
I'll need to make every upgraded() call its own
call_out.  I was trying to avoid that.

> From your description, I think you should be setting
> the limit to
> 250,000 from where the current limit is infinite.

  The problem is that I'd like to set the limit to
some number (250,000 was chosen because it's the one
the Kernel Library chooses) for each call, so I'd like
to repeatedly reset the limit and give each upgraded()
call its own set of ticks.

> That'll allow you
> to run the consecutive time-limited operations, as
> you describe.

  Actually, it appears that while I can't set it to
250,000 each time, I *can* set it to -1 and *then*
250,000 each time.  That seems like a bug, but I'm not
sure what the correct behavior should be.

  But the fact that I can set it to 250,000 each time
only if I first set it to -1 in another rlimits()
statement outside that one is just weird...

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com