[DGD] Telnet Protocol

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 02:13:27 CET 2003

--- Steve Foley <zeppo1 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Mmm.  The BSD telnet server leads me to believe
> there are some telnet
> implementations that expect \r to be treated as a
> return key stroke.  But
> I'm also well aware of how \r and overstrikes have
> and can be used.

  Scary.  Maybe you should make it configurable.  That
way you could treat \r as a return keystroke by
default, at least long enough to let somebody log in,
and then more aggressive MUDs would have the option of
making \r a carriage return so they could do their
little status-bar animations.

  They could do it like some MUDs do color -- display
it to you and ask you to report whether you see it
correctly.

  That'd be up to the MUD, though.  Your telnet
implementation could just have an API to let the MUD
turn that on or off.

> Yes.  But lets say I'm implementing a telnet server
> for DGD.  Now,
> internally, DGD does treat \n as a return key
> stroke.  So maybe in that
> context \n should be treated like a return key
> stroke.

  Not a factor.  What DGD does internally is fine and
dandy, but that has no effect on how it treats stuff
coming in over telnet.  Telnet is effectively an alien
protocol, and DGD's internal representation shouldn't
be a factor in how you treat it.

  I mean, Intel boxes are little-endian, but they
still have to do Network Byte Order like everybody
else, right?

  Similarly, Unix telnet implementations double up the
return characters even though they internally use a
single newline character.  Telnet is a foreign data
protocol, and should be treated like one.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com