[DGD] string indexing..

Kris Van Hees aedil at alchar.org
Wed Nov 26 22:39:16 CET 2003

I believe this is intentional behaviour, to be sonsistent in how string ranges
can work.  The str[i .. i + 1] construct returns a string that is 2 characters
long (assuming strlen(str) > i  + 1 of course), str[i .. i] returns a string
that is 1 character long, and this str[i .. i - 1] returns a string that is 0
characters long.  It does make sense if you look at it that way.

	Kris

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 10:36:05PM +0000, Bart van Leeuwen wrote:
> Hmm.. it seems to me that doing something like "blah"[0..-1] should result
> in an invalid string range error, but it does not, it results in an empty
> string (checked on dgd 1.1, 1.2p3).
>
> Looking through str.c in various versions points at str_ckrange and
> str_range.
> The particular issue is checking on l1 > l2 + 1, which should either be
> l1 > l2 or l1 >= l2 + 1 (why would you write it like that anyway?)
>
> Was wondering for a sec if it was a feature, but theres cleaner ways to
> get an empty string I figured so I guess it is a bug :)
>
> Btw, I ended up there because I wanted to get indexing from the end of a
> string working (ie, str[0..-3] is short for str[0..strlen(str)-3] (oh, and
> a bit faster also of course), and besides, I like the driver just
> returning an empty string instead of throwing a runtime error when trying
> to index past the end of the string ;) (and I ended up there due to
> wanting a much closer emulation of lpmud, but more about that later maybe)
>
> Anyway, if people are interested I will cleanup the code for it a bit and
> make a patch available. It seems to work with all I threw at it, but
> wasn't tested very extensively yet.
>
> Bart.

Never underestimate a Mage with:
 - the Intelligence to cast Magic Missile,
 - the Constitution to survive the first hit, and
 - the Dexterity to run fast enough to avoid being hit a second time.