[DGD] First of many methodology questions

nihilxaos at nihilxaos.com nihilxaos at nihilxaos.com
Thu Oct 16 17:07:25 CEST 2003

Ok. I've gotten my base Mudlib to do a couple things. I've added a command
to the user object, I've modified a couple of the other daemons just to
make sure the modifications take and that I can clone the objects that I
need to such as the wiztool (basically a step past the tutorial).

So now I'm thinking of a couple base methodology issues before I start
overhauling the whole thing.

Here's one that's been bothering me a bit.

On some muds that I've seen the base user object handles absolutely
everything about the user. Thus it has all of the commands, stats, query
functions, and operations pertaining to anything a user may do based on
what class/race/level they may be. As best I can tell this means you only
have one pointer to handle in terms of anything dealing with the user, but
the object is kind of big, and pretty slow.

The other option is creating sub-objects (kind of like the wiztool) that
handle specific commands and operations dependent on what kind of
character we're dealing with. Thus the only stuff in user.c pertains to
all users regardless of position or setup. The rest is stored in other
sub-character objects (or tools, or souls). Thus wiz commands are in the
wiztool, and different guild commands are in guild souls &c.

The later should ultimately take up more space in memory on the whole, but
each segment would be smaller. Ultimately, once the mudlib is fully
fleshed out I'd think that would be advantageous, especially in terms of
cloning objects here and there, and being able to swap out parts of the
character object that aren't in use (for instance if nobody from guild G
are in that guild object lies dormant if cloned at all).

Which do you guys prefer to do?