[DGD] Some basics

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 21:17:33 CEST 2003

--- nihilxaos at nihilxaos.com wrote:
> 1) When an object is compiled it's create is
> called.

  Nope, but close.  The first time a function is
called on the object, create() is called first.  So if
you've just made an object called "bob" and want to
initialize it, you can say "bob->NoSuchFunction()",
which will return nil, and will do nothing but call
create(), at least if the function doesn't exist.

  I think create() also gets called if you clone from
it, but I'm not 100% sure.  This is all written down
somewhere :-)

> Thus if I write a log
> daemon logd.c (aliased by LOGD) and pull the usual
> if (!find_object(LOGD))
> {compile_object(LOGD);} it sees if the logd object
> has been loaded into memory,
> and if not it compiles it and then runs create since
> you obviously want to
> create it. This right?

  Almost.  Create isn't called yet.

> It seems a little off to me,
> but that seems to be how
> things are working. Or is it more correct to say
> that create is called once the
> first call is made to one of the object's functions?

  Yup.

> Basically this is going on the assumption
> that inheriting brings the
> inherited data types into the object, but keeps any
> non-overridden code in a
> separate object so it can be called from any of its
> children.

  I'm not sure what you mean here.  Inheriting from an
object doesn't change that object, so yes, the code
that you override in a child still exists in the
parent.  Is that what you're getting at?  And
functions that you don't override are callable from
the child, but on the child's copy of the data.  In
the Kernel MUDLib it goes one step further -- a
library NEVER has its create() function called.  That
means its data never gets instantiated, which is a
*good* thing -- it's the key to being able to upgrade
in place.

> Thus when you
> destruct an object it in turn destructs its
> ancestors,

  You can make it do that.  It doesn't happen
automatically, at least not in that way.  But the
ObjectD could do that for you if you wanted.

> not to ultimately wipe
> out the ancestor such that it can't be called by
> other like objects, but so it
> removes the links between it and its ancestors.
> (that make sense?)

  I think you mean the right thing.  Yes, it destructs
its ancestors...  But even if they're destructed, they
don't *really* go away until nobody references them
(inherits from them) any more.  That's why the ObjectD
keeps a big list of destructed objects around.  Those
are libraries that somebody inherits from but that
have been destructed already.  When the last child of
that library is recompiled (pointing at the new,
non-destructed copy), the old destructed version goes
away because nobody references it any more.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com