[DGD] dgd crashes on fatal errors

soja at softhome.net soja at softhome.net
Fri Oct 24 14:56:27 CEST 2003

Hello everybody !

I have discovered that dgd crashes (dumps core) after reporting a fatal
error. For example if you remove the binary_connect() function from a driver
object, dgd crashes with following messages:

  Oct 23 19:31:34 ** DGD 1.2.66
  Oct 23 19:31:34 ** Initializing...
  Oct 23 19:31:36 ** Initialization complete.

  Fatal error: missing function in driver object: binary_connect
  Aborted (core dumped)

I also experimented with the following binary_connect() function:

  static object binary_connect(int port)
  {
     return nil;
  }

this time dgd goes down with following log:

  Oct 23 19:32:26 ** DGD 1.2.66
  Oct 23 19:32:26 ** Initializing...
  Oct 23 19:32:28 ** Initialization complete.

  Fatal error: driver->binary_connect() did not return a persistent object
  Aborted (core dumped)

IMHO this is a bug. Even if the driver should go down on a fatal error, it
should not go down in flames :)

I tried both  the 1.2p3 and the 1.2.66 release with the same outcome. I
made the above runs on a CYGWIN platform but I have seen the same bug on
FreeBSD and Linux.

You can checkout the complete file tree for the above run at:
  http://www.cyd.liu.se/users/~elmja827/dgd-crash.tgz
in case you need additional information.