[DGD] Re: Clones and very large arrays

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 3 18:21:49 CEST 2004

>From: Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>
>It's not the CPU usage that will get you, but the fact that DGD has a
>limit on array size lower than that.
>
>From dgd/src/config.c:
>
>     { "array_size",         INT_CONST, FALSE, FALSE,
>                             1, USHRT_MAX / 2 },
>
>Assuming that an unsigned short is a 2 byte variable as it is on my
>computer that means that array_size is a value between 1 and 32768.

So is there anything to stop me from making it an unsigned long, giving me a
generous 2.1 million elements or so? I know 2.1 million isn't feasable for
obvious reasons, but this is just a cap, right?

I'm also wondering if it would be ok to have an array of arrays storing the
clones:
({ ({ a_lot_of_clones }), ({ some_more_clones })... })

Are there any reasons not to do it that way?