[DGD] Clones and very large arrays

Bart van Leeuwen bart at wotf.org
Sat Apr 3 20:45:38 CEST 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Robert Forshaw wrote:

> I'm just curious (as this may be going off topic) but what exactly happens
> in your driver when you do a call_other with an array as the first argument?

Actually.. this is handled in the kernel by (cough cough) checkign the
first argument to call_other.

> >Well, it moves the problem to the object daemon... what if that one gets
> >swapped out? ;)
>
> Since my object daemon has functions called in it whenever an object is
> inherited, cloned, or destructed it is unlikely to be swapped out! But I
> guess it is bad practice to  depend on the likelyhood of something happening
> - which brings me to ask, is there a way to prevent particular objects from
> being swapped out at all (other than calling functions in them)?

Not that I know, it might be rather usefull to have.

> > > Chain breakage should never happen though if you implement the linked
> >list
> > > properly?
> >
> >Well, if you have a reliable destructor in LPC, then you can do that.
>
> I've often thought that it would be handy for lightweight objects to have
> destructors.

Yes. its easy to do for normal objects since they have to be destroyed
explicitly and you can call a destructor before the dest, but if I
understand the docs correctly, you are not supposed to explicitly destroy
a LWO

Bart