[DGD] Clones and very large arrays

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Sat Apr 3 23:37:09 CEST 2004

> I'm using a linked list.  This distributes the data across more objects (to
> mitigate swapping concerns) and avoids any issues with respect to max array
> size.  Though obviously getting the actual list of all clones isn't anywhere
> near as fast as it would be by your method.  I don't find a need to get that
> information too often, though.

The problem with this approach is that in my experience, minimizing
swapping is your primary concern, especially now that call_touch()
actually enables us to affect objects without swapping them in. If you
use a linked list where the next/prev pointers are stored in the actual
objects, then to even enumerate all the clones of a clonable, you have
to swap them all in. Swapping a quarter of a million objects into memory
is not realistic, and if you do it lazily (i.e. try not to freeze your
game) it takes hours and hours.

Zell