[DGD] another brief question, about clone instance numbering

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 4 18:14:08 CEST 2004

Let's say I have "/obj/some_object" and 24 clones, "/obj/some_object#1" to
"/obj/some_object#24".

Now, if I destruct say, "/obj/some_object#3", that will leave a gap in the
instance number sequence, it will go from #2 to #4.

If I then clone "/obj/some_object" again, will the new clone definitely have
an instance number of 3, an instance number of 25, or something else?

If it takes the instance number 3, that's fine. If it takes 25, that means
that as objects are continuously destructed and cloned, the instance numbers
grow higher and higher. And if we are to have any operations that use these
numbers (such as in the bigmap example in "Clones and very large arrays"
thread), it would not do to have "/obj/some_object#10423425564646", which
would inevitably happen in the second behaviour on a persistant MUD. I'm
hoping (and it probably is likely) that the first behaviour is the correct
one.