[DGD] Re: time() and suspending call_outs

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Sun Apr 25 02:18:46 CEST 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 03:34:16PM -0700, Steve Wooster wrote:
>     My first question is... are time() and militime() static within a
> single thread? For example, would this be an infinite loop or a one-second
> loop?
>
> void hog_all_the_cpu()
> {
>     int time=time();
>     rimits (-1,-1)
>     {
>         while(time==time());
>     }
> }

That should be a one second loop.

> What about if I replaced time() with militime() in that function?

Did you try?

    > @code t = millitime(); while (t[0] == millitime()[0] && t[1] == millitime()[1]); return ({ t, millitime() });
    $30 = ({ ({ 1082847960, 0.883 }), ({ 1082847960, 0.884 }) })

:-)

[...]
> Is there any way to do the use_up_ticks_without_using_cpu() function?

Not that I'm aware of.

[...]
> I just thought of one more question... for an object daemon, since I don't
> want the source code of every single object stored in memory at once, am I
> forced to store the source code in real objects rather than LWOs referenced
> by the object daemon?

If you want to store the source code at all (which is quite a project,
let me tell you), then you need persistent objects yes, otherwise
it'll still all be stored in the main object after all.

Cheers,

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>