[DGD] Object handling

Steve Wooster sw_mlists at xprt.net
Tue Aug 3 19:50:38 CEST 2004

     I'm trying to plan writing an object handler, but I've come across an
issue (pardon the pun) where I'm not sure what would be better... I'm
trying to decide whether or not updating the auto object and doing a full
recompile should be unnoticeable, or whether it should affect inheritance
"trees" (is hierarchy a better word?).

     Let's say you have ObjectA which inherits ObjectB, and they both
inherit Auto. You make a change to ObjectB, so now there's ObjectB_Issue2
which inherits Auto, but ObjectA is still inheriting the old version of
ObjectB. Now, let's say you make a new version of the auto object and do a
full recompile... Should ObjectA still inherit the old issue of ObjectB
(but with both now inheriting the new auto object), or should it inherit
ObjectB_Issue2? It'd be much simpler to do the latter, but I worry about if
that could make updating the auto object less transparent, as it would
bring inheritance "trees" up-to-date as a side effect (and possibly an
undesirable one). Any opinions? Thanks!

-Steve Wooster