[DGD] Object house-keeping and persistance

birgit.schulte at philips.com birgit.schulte at philips.com
Thu Aug 19 16:42:58 CEST 2004

> Stephen Schmidt wrote:

>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 birgit.schulte at philips.com wrote:
>> I am wondering about ways to make sure the number of unused / discarded
>> objects in a persistant mud doesn't go through the roof.

> This is a comment more from the perspective of game design than
> of mudlib design, but hopefully the latter follows from the former.

> In a persistant MUD, why would there be a discarded object?
> Maybe no player is carrying it, but it's got to be lying
> around in the game world somewhere.

Guess when I'm saying unused I somehow think more of objects
cloned / created by coders when working on some part of the world,
as opposed to working in their own working-dir.
But then you are probably right, if an object is a proper part
of the world (like being inside of an environment and not in the void)
it does have its place.

Also, I am still getting used to the idea of real persistance,
meaning I am not yet used to code with that firmly embedded in my mind.

I might go and re-install the resource daemon after all then, to take
care of rampant cloning. Just in case :-)

> Or are we, perhaps, talking not about objects within the
> game, but about objects like daemons that are not visible
> to the players, but come in and out of existance to handle
> certain tasks behind the scenes? In that case, delete the
> suckers from memory when their task is complete.

I wasn't thinking of daemons, since their number probably
never gets very high, and usually they are meant for continuously
repeating tasks anyhow.

Besides, I even take care that daemons which are explicitely declared
as such can't be destructed at all - I wouldn't want to be without
object- or access-daemon ever!

But in general non-lib and non-obj stuff should be taken care of too,
quite right. What I am looking for are ways to let the mud-lib handle
as much as possible of this for me, since you can't rely on every coder
to clean up behind themselves.

Regards,
Birgit