[DGD] Current state of MUD-dom

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Aug 23 17:16:35 CEST 2004

David Jackson <atari_x at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I am saddened to see that MudConnector only lists 21 MUDs as having a
> population higher than 100 on a regular basis.
>
> I am also saddened to see the list of AberMUDs almost dwindling to
> nothing.  And only a few LPMuds on the list.
>
> I am wondering what the future of MUDs are; in my mind, a good game is a
> good game is a good game.
>
> But...the facts don't lie.  Where are MUDs headed in the future?  In this
> day and age of multimedia, have they clung to existence far too long anyhow?

A few remarks.

 1) If you no longer feel like MUDs are on the forefront of something,
    this is probably due to people like yourself, who became inactive. :)
 2) The more players a MUD has, the higher its maintenance requirements.
    A MUD with 100 online players may be more difficult to manage than
    one with 50 online players, meaning that the latter will survive
    more easily.  This is important for MUDs run by unpaid volunteers.
 3) The more MUDs evolve, the higher the initial investment for starting
    a new one.  The implications are obvious, especially now that
    commercial MUDs are a proven concept.