[DGD] Current state of MUD-dom

Bart van Leeuwen bart at wotf.org
Tue Aug 24 15:18:12 CEST 2004

> I believe that a coder can be a content developer as well.  But perhaps
content developers shouldn't be forced to be coders.

I completely agree. Since I come from a traditional (?) lpmud environment,
people who created content still had to write code, and it was quite
noticable that the only 'domain' that kindof worked there still when I
stopped being active, was a domain that included both technical coders and
people who were mostly interested in creating content. The technical
coders would provide the actual code and tools, and the people creating
content could stick to relatively simple code or templates most of the
time, focussing on the actual content instead.

That model worked well for us. There where content creators were forced to
actually write technocal code, it did at times work as well, but often it
didn't (you either get very technocal and gamewise less interesting
content, or you get content without good underlying code with a high
potential for bugs)

As for myself, I am good at thinking up a game concept and creating the
underlying logic... just not at creating the rooms and objects that
players deal with.

For it to work, you'll have to have peopel who realize their limits so
they can actually accept someone elses work and share their own.

Bart.