[DGD] GurbaLib

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Thu Aug 26 18:19:19 CEST 2004

On this subject, one might wonder why it is that DGD doesn't
have a mudlib that offers more than mudlibs for other drivers,
since DGD offers so much more than other drivers. A few musings
on that subject follow.

The biggest thing DGD offers, from a game perspective, is
persistence. A game world can be altered by players and
the alterations will remain. This is not the only feature
in which DGD outstrips other drivers, but I think it's the
one most visible to players of games running on DGD.

Unfortunately, for the typical fantasy adventure, this is
a drawback rater than a gain. After the player kills the
goblin king, the game is over until the game resets and
the goblin king magically springs back to life. Similarly
for recovering lost treasures, rescuing princesses, and
so forth. It is bad for the game, not good, if these
things are permanent achievements.

One can try to design features into the game to "explain"
resetting of the game world, but that approach is counter
to the idea of persistence. What's the use of using a
persistent driver if all you're going to do is put
non-persistent behavior back in via the game design?
Also, the mechanisms needed to explain the resets within
a consistent story line are complex.

What DGD needs (needs in the public domain, anyway; Skotos
is outside the scope of my comments here, and I'm not
terribly familiar with it anyway - if someone who is
wanted to comment on its relation to this topic, I think
that'd be great) is a "killer app", a game concept that
isn't traditional fantasy adventure and that uses persistence
as a fundamental of the game design. DGD ought not try to
compete on the tradition grounds of LPMud - its feature
set inherently pulls it in a different direction.

The reason traditional fantasy adventure works with resets
is that the players are a small part of the game world
anyway; they don't have important roles in the society
in which the game is set. Thus, if their acts are
impermanent, it doesn't matter much.

The DGD "killer app" game should reverse that. Players
should be important people in the society of the game
world, capable of taking acts which alter that society,
which are then reflected in the game world through the
persistence of DGD. For example, building a castle
which would then attract NPCs to form a town around it.
Or destroying a castle and dispersing the town. Or
something similar in whatever setting you do like, if
you don't like fantasy adventure.

Steve