[DGD] GurbaLib

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Thu Aug 26 20:08:26 CEST 2004

>> Skotos is outside the scope of my comments here, and I'm not
>> terribly familiar with it anyway - if someone who is
>> wanted to comment on its relation to this topic, I think
>> that'd be great
>
> Par is working on something for you guys that he's not quite yet ready
> to announce yet ;-)

It looks like I won't have time to write up a real summary until the
weekend at the earliest, so... briefly... there will be a public source
release of SkotOS 2.0 -- which is a cleaned-up, largely rewritten
version of the Skotos mudlib, updated to use LWO's and named object
types in addition to all the other modern features it has, most of which
are largely unknown on this list.

The license will allow free non-commercial use. Then, if somebody writes
a kick-ass game on top of this library and wants to go commercial with
it, they'll have the Skotos hosting structure already in place -- a
flick of a switch and (presuming users actually like their game) a
royalty check every month.

So there is a direct benefit to Skotos. In a way, we're just casting our
game-developer-snaring net wider. I'm hoping the public benefit is
equally great, though. I've been miserable about the lack of a modern
DGD mudlib for years, and it's my sincere hope that SkotOS 2.0 will fill
the void.

I wanted this letter to contain a technical presentation of the library,
but it'll have to wait a while.

Zell