[DGD] GurbaLib

Jas katmandu at turbobyte.com
Fri Aug 27 00:32:16 CEST 2004

David Jackson wrote:

>> Instead, I shelved the project (it's on a CD-R somewhere on my shelf,
>> at least) when I considered that I might like to bring it commercial
>> someday, or at least have the option of licensing it as such.  As
>> much work has been done with LDMUD to cleanup the Lars/Amlyaar stuff,
>> it's still a direct decendent from those driver lines and thereby
>> subject to the same license restrictions.
>

> That's the biggest problem in the MUD development community today.
> Thousands (dare I say millions?) of man hours have gone towards
> developing libs, but no-one ever wants to release them (some for the
> reason you stated, and thousands of other reasons as well).
>
> We have to keep re-inventing the wheel, over and over again.  How much
> code, I wonder, will never see the light of day again?

When I switched game engines (from one prohibiting any/all making money
of any kind, including donations, to one that provides a mechanism for
licensing as a commercial application.... LDMUD to DGD), it seemed like
the perfect time to start fresh rather than re-work that library into
something it was never designed to be.

>> No, what's really needed is a new creation.  A new species, if you
>> will, of game library for the DGD engine.  Something that can be GPL
>> or BSD or whatever license you want, right from the get-go.
>

> And yet another mudlib is born, when there are several mudlibs that
> need to be completed.

None of the existing mudlibs have what I feel to be a "loose" enough
license to allow someone to make money off of it (donations,
pay-for-play, or pay-as-you-go games) and/or to sell derivatives as new
products (i.e., rebranding).  The BSD license mechanism would allow for
either or both of those scenarios.

>> Thanks for your comments, though, as it's always interesting to hear
>> from folks who have done mudlib work that's been released in various
>> stages of completion.
>
> And perhaps not so interesting to hear from folks who haven't released
> anything at all.

I'm sorry to have ruined your day.  Cheer up, Little Camper!

> David Jackson

Cheers,
Jason D. Bourgoin
aka Katmandu