[DGD] Call for critique: LPC documentation

John Ruiz jruiz at johnruiz.com
Tue Feb 3 13:39:42 CET 2004

Noah,

Thank you for putting all of this together - when I want to work on my MUD,
I typically bring up the driver, an editor, and your site as the basic tools
I'll need.  Here's something to think about for your new edition:

Your newest installation seems geared for the very beginner - new to both
DGD and LPC - which is great unless you know your way around and then it
becomes a bit onerous to wade through the verbiage to get to what you're
looking for.

As an alternative, I would suggest using the power inherent in the medium to
achieve both completeness and conciseness.  This could be done through a lot
of URLs over keywords or phrases (a.k.a popup boxes) which a beginner may
need to have defined or explained a little further.  Another technique that
I really like is using javascript to popup a 'tooltip'-like box when you
hover your mouse over keywords and phrases.  This allows a user to have more
control over the density of their documentation.

Of course, there will be times when it is appropriate to have a lengthy
discussion and there will be times when you really need all of the verbiage
no matter who will be looking at the docs - I leave this choice in your very
capable hands.

Finally, this is totally your baby, so if you decide that this just doesn't
sounds like something you want to do, throw it out and don't think twice
about it - I won't complain about useful tools I get to use for free.

Yours,
John