[DGD] Melville under the Kernel Lib

Steve Foley zeppo1 at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 8 04:24:47 CET 2004

Had a question with respect to the design criteria Felix delineated
earlier.

Felix A. Croes <felix at dworkin.nl> wrote:
> Here is what the kernel library does, and what a modern
> mudlib should do:
>  - DGD/MP aware.  This is going to be important in the
>  future.  A number of design issues are involved:
>     - It must be possible to start a callout without making
>       a change to data in any object (this is why callouts
>       are no longer a resource in the kernel library, since
>       resources are tracked by a central object).

I don't understand the nature of this requirement.  I wish I could more
specifically articulate what I don't understand about this, but I'm afraid
I can't.  I have a vague feeling it has to do with the compare, commit or
reschedule process that occurs in making a multi-threaded environment
appear to be single-threaded, but I'm not really even all that sure of
that.  Would someone be so kind as to shine some light on this?  Thanks in
advance.

--Steve