[DGD] DGD/MP & OpenMosix revisited?

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 00:37:55 CET 2004

--- Ragnar Lonn <prl at gatorhole.se> wrote:
> > In a MUD, the degree of interrelatedness is high.
>
> Yes, but isn't that to a certain (maybe even large) degree
> because people have designed them to be that way?

  Yes.  As soon as you banish all non-local effects, or keep them very
carefully constrained, you're golden.  Now find me a multiplayer game
(not just a MUD) that does that.  I know of a couple of examples, and
they're almost all strategy games where people take turns infrequently
(think play-by-email or "many players in lockstep" or things like
that).  In those cases, there's a big payoff for making sure that any
action you take has a very high propagation latency, since that mirrors
a real propagation latency in the system.

  You may also note that none of those games, played single-player, are
very much *fun*...  Which is to say, you give up a lot of what would
otherwise make them game fun to satisfy the propagation latency
constraint, which is necessary for the multiprocessor constraint.

  Sounds like a significant loss to me.

=====