[DGD] Delay statements in scripting

Steve Foley zeppo1 at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 4 09:25:54 CET 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noah Gibbs" <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com>

>   There's one different very simple and fundamental
> action that scripts want to take, and it's harder to
> implement:  delays.  When you want a mobile to look at
> what it's been given, wait a few seconds and give it
> back disdainfully, it's important to wait that few
> seconds.  The problem is that DGD is single-threaded,
> which means that threads of execution need to finish
> *fast* so that the rest of the MUD can get on with
> what it's doing.  A three-second delay loop isn't an
> option, and would halt the rest of the MUD, spoiling
> the effect.  It doesn't work.

Perhaps this just restates the problem, but maybe it's
easier to look at the situation as multiple events.

You have the player giving the item to the mobile, which
causes two things to happen.  First, the mobile examines the
object.  Second, a new event is created/registered to occur
at some point in time in the future.  Namely, the mobile
gives the object back to the player (and this has its own
set of criteria to meet).  So, I guess the question is, how
are you dealing with a situation where one event causes
another event to occur after some delay in time?  Or have I
simple restated the question?