[DGD] Re: A simple lib

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Tue Jan 6 17:59:53 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:44:54PM +0000, Robert Forshaw wrote:
> I originally began coding my mudlib in MudOS, then I realised it lacked
> certain features I wanted and moved to LDMUD. Now I've discovered DGD and
> I've decided to build a mudlib from scratch.
[...]
> Incidently, is there any way to transfer 'interactivity' to a different
> object and destruct the old one? Right now the only way I can see to do it
> is to pass messages from the object returned by telnet_connect() to
> whatever object you want, but it still requires the first object to exist
> and is where the messages first go to. MUDOS and LDMUD both have this
> feature, so it would appear that DGD should also?

In DGD you 'do it yourself' by having a generic connection object
which passes messages back and forth to the object that's actually in
charge.  In a mud that could be a player body, but it could just as
easily be something more abstract.  The kernel-lib implements such a
mechanism.

Of course depending on how you set things up, you may not need to
switch at all.

> Another missing feature that kept causing errors until I noticed it is the
> absence of // style comments. Or are they supported in a more recent patch?
> I haven't figured out how to patch DGD for windows. Do I have to install
> Cygwin?

LPC is a dialect of C, not of C++, even though the most recent C
standard added '//' style comments for whatever reason.  They are
available for DGD if you are willing to download a patch from the ftp
site and compile your own binary, but it's not supported by vanilla
DGD:

    http://dgd.is-here.com/faq/html/faq.html#SECTION-PACKAGES

How well the comment-1.1.tar.gz applies to current DGD source, I don't
know.

Good luck and enjoy,

Erwin.
--