[DGD] Re: A simple lib

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Tue Jan 6 18:42:23 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:31:00PM +0000, Robert Forshaw wrote:
> >From: Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>
[...]
> >In DGD you 'do it yourself' by having a generic connection object
> >which passes messages back and forth to the object that's actually in
> >charge.  In a mud that could be a player body, but it could just as
> >easily be something more abstract.  The kernel-lib implements such a
> >mechanism.
>
> That's basically what I had figured. Why is this feature not catered for
> better? It means having an additional object for every user. Seems a bit of
> a waste to me.

I would describe the philosophy here as "why, if you can easily do
this in LPC and thereby keep the basis simpler?" plus realizing that
the G in DGD stands for Generic, it's intended to be more than just a
platform on which to build text-based.

[...]
> I thought the reason is obvious; it makes it much easier to comment out
> single lines. I'll probably add this feature to the driver when I
> understand what I'm doing with the mudlib first. :)

I would dispute the 'much' in 'much easier', but hey, go right ahead,
you might make some others happy along the way. :-)

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>