[DGD] A simple lib

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 6 18:43:36 CET 2004

>From: Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com>
>   Heh.  After you've used MudOS, you think DGD with
>the Kernel Library is "very complicated"?

I don't like the conventions it uses, and I prefer to make my own. But maybe
I'll be pressured into using it anyway because I'll never get mine
working... ;)

>   There's general DGD documentation at
>"http://phantasmal.sf.net/DGD", but more specifically,
>there's a great little tutorial on the Kernel Library
>at "http://phantasmal.sf.net/DGD/Kernel".  It's worth
>a look if you haven't seen it already.
>
> > with lots of resource management and
> > security functionality
> > that I wasn't going to try and understand (I would
> > rather implent everything
> > I need from scratch).
>
>   You understand that you'll probably need to read
>through it to figure out how to do things, right?
>It's actually a lot of the best documentation for DGD
>right now...  At least for how to make a new security
>or inheritance policy.  Also, if you don't understand
>some of the decisions it makes with respect to, say,
>inheritance, you may keep your MUD from ever being
>able to take advantage of certain features, like, say,
>full rebuild.

I was most detered from the kernel lib because it looked like it would
consume too much resources. My MUD will be making heavy use of very short
(milisecond) callouts and I don't want it lagging because the resource
manager itself is hogging the CPU. Am I wrong in this assessment?

>Ditto for the tick limits that Dworkin mentioned
>earlier.  Then you'd have a better idea what was wrong
>because you'd see an error when your code had been
>running longer than it was allowed.

Could someone explain to me what a 'tick' is exactly? Is it anything like a
cycle? It isn't listed in the DGD terms
(http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/DGD_Terms.html)

>Yeah, the "impossible to close" deal is an old
>error, long fixed.  You know that unpatched 1.2 is,
>like, several years old now, right?  1.2p3 is a better
>choice, and so is a recent experimental version.

It would seem this assumption is incorrect as running my mudlib (if you can
call it that) in 1.2p3 and 1.2.50 it refuses to close except via the task
manager... but it does it quitely when it does close.

>For patching, you'll need to be able to build DGD.  So
>yes, you may need to install Cygwin.

I'm building DGD in Visual C++ 6. :P