[DGD] A simple lib

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Jan 6 19:43:58 CET 2004

"Robert Forshaw" <iouswuoibev at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >driver::runtime_error() doesn't do anything with errors,  so there
> >is no message for them.
>
> The reason I left this empty is because DGD seems to report runtime errors
> in its Window anyway, and making another entry here causes runtime errors to
> be reported twice. Is this intended behaviour?

If it's reported twice, it is because runtime_error() is called twice.
The exceptions are when the driver object cannot be compiled, or when an
error occurs within driver::runtime_error().  Such errors may cause a
duplicate errormessage in some cases because DGD becomes confused when
errorreporting isn't working.

> >driver::telnet_connect() recompiles /sys/user every time, that's probably
> >not what you want.
>
> I understand that it isn't what I want. The only reason I have it like this
> is due to 'tweaking', i.e. I'm making sure it isn't the clone() function
> I've defined that is the problem.

I'm sorry, but I can only judge the code as it is, or as it is illuminated
by comments.  If there are certain bugs that you do not want me to bring
up, please let me know in advance. :)

> My clone() function is OK, right?

Actually, further inspection shows that clone() isn't called from
telnet_connect().  But it looks as if you call compile_object() from
all over, including clone(), and that is not correct -- the object
should only be cloned when it doesn't exist already.

The same problem occurs in driver::inherit_program() -- the object
to be inherited is recompiled every time, even if it already exists.