[DGD] Re: status

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Wed Jan 7 19:13:20 CET 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:50:52PM +0000, Robert Forshaw wrote:
[...]
> Where seek_and_return_string(string haystack, string needle) looks for
> 'needle' in 'haystack' and returns the string up to where 'needle' was
> found.

I think you want to look into sscanf() to replace
seek_and_return_string().

> I get that funny feeling though where I think I might be doing something
> awkwardly or I'm missing an obviously more efficient way of achieving a
> solution. I had a look at status.h and saw this:
>
> # define O_INDEX	5	/* unique ID for master object */
>
> This clearly isn't the same as kernel libs version, which claims to return
> the issue number of an object
> (http://phantasmal.sourceforge.net/DGD/Kernel/Inheritance.html <- bottom of
> that page). The problem is I have no idea what 'unique ID for master
> object' means. Does O_INDEX contain an object pointer? A string? An issue
> number? Does a master object even have an issue number? I thought it
> didn't. :)

The 'issue' and 'unique id for master object' refer to the same
thing.  I would describe O_INDEX as a unique identifier for the _code_
that an object runs with, which for clones would be the code of the
master object from which the clone was made.

Hope that helps,

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>