[DGD] Re: status

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Wed Jan 7 23:01:13 CET 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:50:30PM -0800, Noah Gibbs wrote:
>   Oh, hey, fun fact of the day...
>
>   DGD does garbage collection.  That's the only way
> arrays, mappings and LWOs can be destructed.  DGD
> garbage-collects clones as well, but if you track
> clones in an object manager (which the Kernel Library
> does), the garbage collection is foiled since the
> object manager is guaranteed to still have a reference
> to the clone.
>
>   So make sure you're aware of that little side effect
> before you track all clones with an object manager.

I wonder where this idea originates because (as Dworkin points out in
his email) is not quite true.  Regular clones will continue to exist
if you destruct their master object.  There _is_ a catch though, as
you will no longer be able to recompile all clones' code by doing a
compile_object() on the master object.

Hope that helps,

Erwin.
--