[DGD] Re: status

Erwin Harte harte at is-here.com
Wed Jan 7 23:24:39 CET 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:07:48PM -0800, Noah Gibbs wrote:

> --- Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com> wrote:
> > >   DGD does garbage collection.  [...]>
> >
> > I wonder where this idea originates because (as
> > Dworkin points out in
> > his email) is not quite true.
>
>   Actually, this email is on a different topic.
> Normally, I believe, clones are garbage-collected.
> That is, if you clone an object and then the variable
> passes out of scope (so you no longer have any
> reference to the cloned object) it will be garbage
> collected.  That is, it will be properly disposed of.

No, it doesn't.  Never has, never will.  The only way (persistent)
clones can disappear is if you destruct them explicitely, that is one
of the important differences with LWOs.

>   However, if you clone an object and your object
> manager tracks it (such as in the Kernel Library,
> which keeps lists of clones by owner), then there's
> always at least one reference to it, so it can't be
> garbage collected.  Thus, you have to explicitly
> destruct the object or you'll leak memory.

If you were writing this about LWOs, it would be true.  For any other
clones, it's 100% false.

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte <harte at is-here.com>