[DGD] Persistance

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Thu Jan 8 20:21:56 CET 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Robert Forshaw wrote:
> >From: Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com>
> >   What does this buy you?
>
> It buys me players not coming back some day and finding their characters
> deleted?

Yes, but why does it matter if they're archived on disk in some
place outside the mud, or archived on disk in the swapfile? Either
way they're on your server disk, and nowhere else. Unless having
them in the swapfile would slow down object access from the
swapfile, but I doubt that's the case. And if they're in the
state file you don't have to bother with removing them or
reloading them when they reappear.

On a somewhat related note, one mud I was at had a Hall of
Fame where characters who had accumulated a certain amount
of wealth and experience could have their accomplishments
permanently records in exchange for purging the character.
That encouraged players to get rid of their old megapowerful
characters when they started a new one, instead of leaving
them lingering. Persistent muds would find something like
that useful, perhaps.

Steve