[DGD] Persistance

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Thu Jan 8 20:27:21 CET 2004

Robert Forshaw wrote:
>> From: Noah Gibbs <noah_gibbs at yahoo.com>
>>   What does this buy you?
>

> It buys me players not coming back some day and finding their characters
> deleted?

I think you are too afraid of the dumpfile. Don't see it too much as a
precious storage space that you only carefully use. Remember that DGD's
objects -natural- place is swapped out to disk, and only the stuff that
is being used is ever swapped in at all. You don't really need to worry
terribly much about having extra, unused objects in memory.

Once you have players as ever-present, persistent objects, you'll start
doing things differently. If player objects are never destructed, then
their object pointers never disappear. So every object that needs to
keep some kind of record of players can do so using object pointers
instead of some ad-hoc label, e.g. a unique name. Similarly, where your
average LPMud links a room exit into another room's filename, in a
persisteng world you link directly to the object pointer. That pointer
will be as valid 15 years from now as it is when you set up the link.

Zell