[DGD] Persistance

Robert Forshaw iouswuoibev at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 20:42:14 CET 2004

>From: Par Winzell <zell at skotos.net>
>I think you are too afraid of the dumpfile.

I think you are right. ;)

>Don't see it too much as a precious storage space that you only carefully
>use. Remember that DGD's objects -natural- place is swapped out to disk,
>and only the stuff that is being used is ever swapped in at all. You don't
>really need to worry terribly much about having extra, unused objects in
>memory.
>
>Once you have players as ever-present, persistent objects, you'll start
>doing things differently. If player objects are never destructed, then
>their object pointers never disappear. So every object that needs to keep
>some kind of record of players can do so using object pointers instead of
>some ad-hoc label, e.g. a unique name. Similarly, where your average LPMud
>links a room exit into another room's filename, in a persisteng world you
>link directly to the object pointer.

When you eventually do reboot, how will it reconnect the rooms? Doing it by
file name makes this easy, but by object reference, well, for a start every
room object will have to be loaded, and then how is it going to figure out
what rooms connect to where, if not by file name?