[DGD] lf in #define

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Jan 8 23:18:24 CET 2004

"Kirk Smith" <ksmith at illiji.net> wrote:

> I believe the difference is whitespace... Mind you, I have no understanding of
> why you wouldn't simply ignore all white space until the first non-whitespace
> character after the newline. Perhaps that would be desirable, no?

The answer to both of you is that DGD's preprocessor follows the '89
ANSI C specification.  When I started writing DGD I decided that rather
than create another half-broken dialect for the C preprocessor, I would
exactly and minimally implement the most authoritative specification.
Therefore whitespace such as \r is significant in a #define, both after
a backslash and at the beginning of the following line (in the middle of
a string constant).

This is not going to change.  I noticed that gcc on various platforms
gives different results in this case (non-Windows platforms), not
just in terms of the warnings given during compilation but also with
regard to the string produced.  In the face of such confusion, the
best thing you can do is to hold on to the specification.