[DGD] Recursion in recompile(), is this correct?

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 00:15:35 CET 2004

--- Bart van Leeuwen <bart at wotf.org> wrote:
> [...] unless you want to do what me and
> later Noah described, notify all objects that
> inherit the library so they
> can decide to recompile themselves as well
> (this can get rather funny when
> you update a real low level library that is
> used all over the place ;)

  Yup.  There are a lot of strange things that can
happen when you do that.  It's a fairly complicated
piece of the existing ObjectD code.  For one thing you
have problems with tick limits (if they're in place),
so you have to separate the whole thing into multiple
call_out() functions.

  Plus you need to remember to turn off new
connections and input on old connections, or somebody
can type something when your MUD is only
half-upgraded.  Not good.  I think Phantasmal actually
still has a suble bug related to this and the
upgraded() function...

  Anyway.  Yes, there are some subtleties.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com