[DGD] Recursion in recompile(), is this correct?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun Jan 11 00:55:38 CET 2004

"Robert Forshaw" <iouswuoibev at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >So.. normally your recompile() function would just destroy the library it
> >gets passed and not do anything else, unless you want to do what me and
> >later Noah described, notify all objects that inherit the library so they
> >can decide to recompile themselves as well (this can get rather funny when
> >you update a real low level library that is used all over the place ;)
>
> Now I am totally confused. The docs are very unclear as to what conditions
> causes recompile() to be called. The name of the function would suggest it
> is called any time an object is recompiled with compile_object(). The doc
> would have me believe it is called when an object at the top of an
> inheritance chain is 'out of date' (presumably caused by recompiling it?).
>
> I have read the docs and they aren't concise enough. I have browsed through
> the kernel code and it is not helpful,

Given that you are unsatisfied with the docs and the kernel library, as
well as with the advice and explanations that others are offering, there
may be one resource that you haven't tried yet: the mailing list archives.
You can find them at

    http://list.imaginary.com/mailman/private/dgd/

They go back four years (there are some older ones on the ftp site),
and they answer every question you've asked so far.