[DGD] copy() or lack thereof in Melville

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 10:12:07 CET 2004

--- M M <crashnbrn71 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> there is a function called copy: [...]
> which is used, according to the header, as a
> non-recursive copy function for mappings, arrays
> and other variables represented by pointers.

  Yup.  A fine and useful function.  That is, in fact,
just what it does.

> It also
> states, that if the variable itself contains
> pointers,
> that they are _not_ copied.

  Yes.  So it's a shallow copy, or one-level copy, as
opposed to a full recursive copy.

> Now in various files we will see this function
> finding its way into the code, like users_d
>.c whenever a
> map_indices() or map_values() is returned.

  I'll restate what Steve Schmidt said, but in a
slightly different way.

  In DGD, when you return a mapping, an array or a
lightweight object (LWO), that object is passed by
reference, not by value.  So if you modify elements of
the array or mapping, or call functions on the LWO,
you can modify the original copy.

  However, you can't share data that way for long,
because at the end of the DGD thread of execution the
mapping, array or LWO will be copied over into the
object that has a reference to it.

  An object with security needs should be careful
returning its arrays, mappings or LWOs, because an
unscrupulous caller might change them.  So if you
store a room's exits as an array, don't just return
the array -- if the caller reassigns an element of the
array, he can change what the set of exits is!

  However, it seems odd to me that he tends to call
copy when he returns a map_values or map_indices,
because I think that returns a copy anyway.  So if you
modify it, it won't do anything to the original array
or mapping.

> Places we dont see it:
> ----------------------
> in /system/users_d.c:
> object find_user(string name) {
>     if (!users) users = ([ ]) ;
>     if (member_array(name,map_indices(users))==-1)
>         return 0 ;
>     return users[name] ;
> }

  Yeah.  In this case, returning a single user won't
do anything to the users array.  However, if
users[array] were an array or mapping that could be
modified, we'd want to copy it.  I don't remember
Melville well enough to know whether that's the case.

  If it's an object, we still might want to worry
about security since functions could be called on it,
but we'd handle that kind of security in a different
place, and in a different way.

> in /inherit/object.c:
> string *query_id() { return id ; }
> which returns an array of id names.

  Yeah, copy() should probably be called here to avoid
the caller being able to modify 'id'.

> So my question is, is the copy() function
> needed?

  That functionality is needed, yeah.  Phantasmal, for
instance, would return "id[..]" rather than "id",
which does the same thing that copy() would.  It's a
matter of how you prefer to write it, but it does the
same thing either way.

> is it redundant now in dgd 1.2.7# ? since
> melville was released back in dgd 1.0.# days?

  Nope.  That particular situation hasn't changed any,
except that there are now LWOs, which are more
interesting to copy.  Melville doesn't use them, so
that's not an issue.

> And if it's not
> redundant, then shouldn't everything that
> returns a mapping/array need it?

  Only if the called object retains a reference to
that mapping or array.  For instance, Phantasmal will
sometimes build a new array in response to a function
call.  It hands it back to the caller.  That's fine,
because Phantasmal no longer has a reference to it, so
it no longer cares what happens to it.

> Sorry for this long ramble, not sure how to
> be more concise and still explain.

  No, it's a good question.  Say, have you found my
documentation web site?  It's at
"http://phantasmal.sf.net/DGD".  The answer to this
question is there, though you'd have to read pretty
carefully to find it.  I'll have to add a better
answer to this question while doing the overhaul.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com