[DGD] Alternatives to the Kernel model of security...

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 19:34:06 CET 2004

--- "Felix A. Croes" <felix at dworkin.nl> wrote:
> There's a Linux kernel module  [...]
> Mounting a WebDAV filesystem is easy on a Mac,
> presumably also
> in Windows, don't know about Linux.

  Well, if it requires installing a new kernel module
in Linux, that would qualify as easy for me...  But
not easy enough to require of builders.  But even
assuming that Linux users are more technically
inclined, I'm curious what "easy" is on a Mac as well.
 Anything that requires the installation of new
software had better require *no* additional savvy,
because that's already a lot to demand :-/

  Similarly, if mounting a WebDAV filesystem on
Windows is as "easy" as installing a network printer,
that's fine for anybody running their own MUD, and
probably too much to expect builders to do routinely.

  But I suppose the guy running the MUD server could
mount the WebDAV partition and allow telnet access to
it.  Builders _already_ have to have basic ability
with telnet, and only the ones with some basic CLI
acumen will want to edit files from the shell.  Hmm...

  Okay, that could work.  And allowing WebDAV only
from the local machine would probably be better for
security anyway.  I'll go see what the WebDAV protocol
looks like.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com