[DGD] Alternatives to the Kernel model of security...

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 19:55:39 CET 2004

--- "Felix A. Croes" <felix at dworkin.nl> wrote:
> I'm not sure if I agree with you on the security of
> allowing telnet
> shell access to a mud server host :)

  This is a good point.  While it'd be possible to do
tricks like chroot() to limit some kinds of damage, it
*wouldn't* be possible to prevent DOS attacks on the
MUD by using too much of the server's resources.

  I should find out how difficult/easy WebDAV is to
use on Windows.  I'm definitely not thrilled about the
idea of requiring a Linux user to install a kernel
module to use existing editors...

  Dunno.  I know there are a couple of existing
MUDclients that support popping up an editor window,
using existing protocols (MCP, I think?).  Maybe I
should just recommend Linux people use one of those.
It's not a bad idea anyway.

=====
------
noah_gibbs at yahoo.com