[DGD] Broken Pipe? yee gads

Michael McKiel crashnbrn71 at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 31 02:52:19 CET 2004

Though it doesn't look like there is any help on this
issue, unless one uses the Kernel Lib itself under
typecheck 2. I will restate a few things that I
thought were quite clear.
1/ Broken Pipe was received before GDB was used.
2/ I didn't realize it was "Broken Pipe" as when I
telnetted in via TF 4. all I got was an instant
Connection Closed, without seeing the WelcomeScreen.
3/ When TF 5 was used to TELNET, it was shown to be
"Broken Pipe" - not just Connection Closed.
4/ GDB was used to see if any internal error could be
found. And it just basically told me that it was a
Broken Pipe.
5/ Search on the web on broken pipes: attempts to send
a write to a closed descriptor. - not much help there.

Go to the mailing list, not much help here. And a wee
bit oh sarcasm :P

> It doesn't cause broken pipes.  What it does cause
is > a typechecking error in a critical driver.c
function > somewhere where no errors are allowed.

And if it's such a critical function, where an error
isn't allowed, why does it compile and run without any
compile or runtime errors?

Btw, Steve, "connection.c" is part of Kernel Lib.
connections in Melville are handled in
telnet_connect() from driver, which clones copies of
USER & Player
and then from what I read, "OPEN()" is called in the
User (that telnet_connect() returns.)