[DGD] object types: examples from the kernel lib

Par Winzell zell at skotos.net
Tue Jul 13 13:35:03 CEST 2004

> Admittedly both of these require that there is _some_ class which
> implements F.  This is, however, weaker than the assertion that the
> object's class itself must implement F for the code to be compilable.

Point taken. This comes down to a semantic distinction, though, between
type from the point of the VM on one hand and the compiler on the other.
I didn't want to muddy further my already confused writing with
disclaimers. I think it could be argued that as far as the compiler is
concerned, and thus the language, once you cast an object to Foo, it
-is- a Foo. As for reflection, well, you can just plain generate your
own byte code too, and that takes us entirely out of the domain of Java
as a language, and into that of the VM, which is really quite a separate
issue. :)

Zell